Thursday, December 3, 2009

Same Ol' Crap, Merry Christmas...


Right around Halloween, and for approximately the thirty following days, I went on an endless rant against all things Christmas. Not really against Christmas, but I just couldn't fathom why these people would be putting their decorations up. I was still clinging to my fake spiderwebs and slightly sagging gourds from the pumpkin farm. Don't you dare make me give up my rubber centipede and my jiggly skeletons, not yet! I began to get extremely militant about it. And loud. Imagine that. Then suddenly, on the morning of Thanksgiving, I went on a cleaning rant, taking down all traces of All Hallows Eve, leaving nary a decoration on the wall but a few gorgeous little hand turkeys. Those are still up, I might add. Hand turkeys are decor for all seasons... all seasons in which one might want a turkey.


Then suddenly I wanted nothing but Christmas. Maybe it was the frosty, sea green ice cream trees in the freezer case at the store, or the crispness in the air, or the realization that my birthday is less than a month away (!!!), that made this little Christmas baby take it all back. I didn't mean it, Santa, really. Now I find myself wanting nothing but to bask in the radiant multicolored glow of my tree, make popcorn strings (eat popcorn strings), listen to the same Christmas mix CD over and over again, trying to figure out how one can listen to "Baby It's Cold Outside" and watch "Rudolph" at the same time. It can be done. Others will just damn you to Hell for it. I can think of little else besides candycane reindeer, and the gentle sounds of my Frosty the Snowman music box in all it's battered, dusty glory. If I could burrow into my Christmas tree with a Santa mug of eggnog, I would. Maybe I'll try later if I can sneak another mug into the house unnoticed. I'm not sure what it is inside me that snapped, but until Christmas, I'll be making tiny Santa hats for my animal friends, and watching every claymation 70s Christmas movie that the Family Channel has gifted upon me this year (and no they are not playing the Life and Adventures of Santa Claus and for that I hate them).


My best ornament ever:


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the mass rush to get a start on Christmas as soon as Halloween is over. You have a whole month people! I always leave those deocrations out far too long. A rotting pumpkin on the patio is very uninviting...

    ReplyDelete