Saturday, March 7, 2009

From couch potato to career-girl...

This leaving the house thing is really quite the transition. I will admit that I got a little too comfortable lazing around on the couch, snacking, watching endless hours of my guilty pleasure, Gilmore Girls and the delightfully trashy exploits of Bret's Bus of STDs. Long gone are the days of getting up at 10am and snacking on bacon which is probably a good thing, considering the grumpy realizations of my recent visit to Corporate Health for a work physical. So hibernation has taken it's toll on my thighs, what can I do?

I've gone from prancing around in vintage jammies, playing house to hunting for vintage careerwear so I can play office. I'm starting to wonder if my overactive fantasy life is taking over my life. Do other people have to try to "play office" just to make it through the workday? When I first got this job offer, visions of myself as the office tart, dressed in pencil skirts and blouses with big bows at the neck danced in my head. I can't help it, life is just that much better when played out as a sexy film noir. Unfortunately real office life isn't quite so glamorous as all that. Insert all the excitement of bathrooms that smell like weird cleansers, disorganized offices, and attempting to master all the nuances of FileMaker Pro. Suddenly corporate fantasy has fallen by the wayside. Perhaps it's for the better for me to be given a dose of reality, because let's face it, it happens pretty rarely, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop hunting for the perfect office attire and trying to make being a secretary all the more sassy.

Recommended reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment